Balconi Quick Tips for Showcase Success!
- Adjust to time zone: Try to keep on normal time zone routine, while adjusting to the new. Don’t nap during the day if you usually do not. Go for a walk, stretch, etc.
- Hydrate: Always have a water bottle in hand, as player reaches closer to match, sip on power/Gatorades.
- Fruits and Veggies to hydrate: Fresh foods can help with hydration as well. Snack up.
- Adequate sleep: 8-9 hours, NO more than 11+ hrs which will cause the opposite effect on players and make them feel lethargic.
- Eat easy: Every player is different; Each player needs to eat what is easy on their own stomach. Typically lower in fat, fiber and leaner protein the better.
- Have fun!: Soccer is more than the 90 minutes, it’s all the factors around the game that make these weekends a true success. Enjoy family, friends, laughter and the atmosphere, how lucky are you!?
Day of arrival:
- Hotel: Shower to loosen up and wake up
- Team session: Light dynamic as team, fun skill
- After team session: Cold shower or pool for muscles
Team Meal: Dinner: High in energy (pasta, brown rice, potatoes, etc), lean protein (Grilled, baked) Fresh: Veggies and water. No fried, greasy foods.
Snack before bedtime: Frozen yogurt, trail mixes, fruits, veggies, mix half Gatorade, half water, etc.
Example of day: 2 game outline(2pm Game time & 8pm)
10-11am: Biggest meal
3-4 hr: Biggest meal before game.
- ¾ Energy: Granola’s, yogurts, sandwiches, fruits, pancakes, pasta’s, rice, fruits, veggies
- ¼ Repair: Leaner meats, eggs, dairy, etc.
12:30pm: Half meal-snack
1.5-1 hr before game
- Half PB sandwich, Energy bar and fruit, bagel, etc.
1:15-1:45pm: If needed
15-30 min before game: Last minute snack (Banana, orange, power bar, etc)
Sip on half n half(water-power/Gatorade)
- Halftime snack: Honey sticks, oranges, banana’s, fruit chews, etc.
- Cool down: After game, dynamic cool down:
- Refuel: Snack 30 minutes to replenish! Fruits, bagel, chocolate milk and fruit, bars and fruit, etc. Lots of water!
- 1 Hour after game-Eat!
8pm Game time: 2nd game
4pm-5pm: Eat Big meal but easy on each specific player needs(3-4 hour repeat, 1.5 and etc all repeats. )
After game: Eat meal that settles well. Replenish, Re-fuel and Re-pair foods.
Bedtime: 11pm-11:30pm- Aim for 8+ hours of sleep.
3-22: One Game in Mind-Late Afternoon.
- Morning team skill session, dynamic, etc.
- Mandatory Breakfast
- Big meal at lunch time(3-4 hours before game)
- Apply eating schedule to 5pm game time.
- Dinner will be key to success for AM game.
- Eat what settles well. If player cannot eat that early, try a liquid shake, toast, fruit. Dinner the night before becomes even more important for this player. Water at all times.